To provide Austrian businesses and government bodies more advanced network capabilities, Citycom is modernising its backbone and metro networks with Ciena® (NYSE: CIEN) and Kapsch BusinessCom. The upgrade will provide fast, reliable, low-latency Carrier Ethernet business services, including high-capacity broadband, Voice over IP (VoIP), resilient data centre interconnections, and access to critical cloud-based IT services such as CRM and payroll platforms for Citycom&rsquo…
To provide Austrian businesses and government bodies more advanced network capabilities, Citycom is modernising its backbone and metro networks with Ciena® (NYSE: CIEN) and Kapsch BusinessCom. The upgrade will provide fast, reliable, low-latency Carrier Ethernet business services, including high-capacity broadband, Voice over IP (VoIP), resilient data centre interconnections, and access to critical cloud-based IT services such as CRM and payroll platforms for Citycom’s public sector, financial services and media customers.
• Citycom, part of Graz City Council (Die Holding Graz), owns and operates 1,200 kilometres of fibre-optic metro network and two state-of-the-art data centres in Graz, providing fast, reliable, low-latency Ethernet business services, including carrier wholesale and last mile connectivity (FTTH), to public sector, enterprise and small and medium sized business (SMB) customers. Citycom also owns a long-haul, nationwide, packet-optical backbone network connecting third-party carriers and international partners in major cities across Austria, including Vienna, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Klagenfurt, Linz, Wels and Gleisdorf.
• The network upgrade includes a number of Ciena’s converged packet optical and packet networking solutions, including the 6500 Packet Optical Platform, 8700 Packetwave Platform, 5142 and 5160 Service Aggregation Switches, as well as the 3902, 3916 and 3930 Service Delivery Switches. Ciena’s OneControl also enables Citycom to differentiate its services with dynamic provisioning and proactive monitoring.
• Ciena and Kapsch BusinessCom, a Ciena BizConnect partner in Austria, Central and Eastern Europe, are working together to deliver this upgrade as an end-to-end, turnkey solution for Citycom. By consolidating its network footprint with Ciena’s OPn network architecture to enable programmable, high-performance Ethernet service delivery, Citycom is also reducing its overall energy consumption by approximately 10 per cent.
• “With Ciena and Kapsch we not only enhance the service experience for our customers, but also ensure competitive advantage in Austria. Our customers now have access to more content, faster Internet speeds and can better utilise critical cloud-based applications. With Ciena’s networking technology we can deliver on our ongoing commitment to maintain and operate a high-performance, feature-rich network while Kapsch helps ensure we are extracting the most value from our investment.”
- Igo Huber, managing director at Citycom
• “The consultative approach we are able to provide as a result of the partnership with Ciena ensures that customers, such as Citycom, are in safe hands as they transform their network infrastructure. With Ciena’s technology they can ensure that they will have capacity to anticipate and exceed escalating bandwidth and service demands, ensuring they are prepared for future growth.”
- Peter Mitterhofer, vice president sales at Kapsch BusinessCom AG
• “Innovative service providers such as Citycom are constantly looking at how to stay ahead of the curve, particularly in service creation and delivery. With access to a flexible and resilient infrastructure based on open, programmable platforms, Austrian organisations can make the most of the digital future and continue to evolve and grow in today’s on-demand, application-centric world.”
- Franck Welter, head of partners, enterprise and public sector, EMEA at Ciena
View more of the latest press releases from across the industry or post your company's news.