Telefónica Global Solutions, the Multinational, Wholesale and Roaming global business of Telefónica (NYSE: TEF) and Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, have deployed Ciena’s 100G coherent optical transport technology on Telefónica´s SAm-1 submarine and terrestrial network, which connects the U.S. to Latin America. With Ciena’s converged packet optical and GeoMesh solution, Telefónica Global Solutions is able to support growing and unpredictable international customer demand for premium bandwidth services like cloud computing…
Telefónica Global Solutions, the Multinational, Wholesale and Roaming global business of Telefónica (NYSE: TEF) and Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, have deployed Ciena’s 100G coherent optical transport technology on Telefónica´s SAm-1 submarine and terrestrial network, which connects the U.S. to Latin America. With Ciena’s converged packet optical and GeoMesh solution, Telefónica Global Solutions is able to support growing and unpredictable international customer demand for premium bandwidth services like cloud computing, video, and advanced business collaboration services.
• The SAm-1 network is the largest fiber optics submarine system connecting the U.S. with Central and South America, with landing stations in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Peru, and the U.S., including Florida and Puerto Rico. The network delivers more than 2 Tbps of data traffic daily at times of peak demand and transports more than 20 billion international voice minutes a year. It provides value added services for multinational and carrier customers, permanently maintaining an activated IP capacity that exceeds a total of 6 Tbps.
• Telefónica Global Solutions deployed Ciena’s 5400 Reconfigurable Switching System and 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, powered by WaveLogic 3 100G Coherent Optical Processors, including advanced ROADM features and GeoMesh optical bypass, to support its 25,000 km submarine and terrestrial network. The 5400 equipped with coherent optical processors provides 100G services across multiple network links, including a 6,700 km submarine network link that connects Boca Raton, Florida to Fortaleza in Brazil; and a 2,100 km unregenerated terrestrial network link that connects Buenos Aires in Argentina to Valparaiso in Chile, reducing network latency and complexity. The 5400 improves intelligent traffic management and bandwidth availability with 3.6T of switching capacity in eight of the Telefónica Global Solutions´ Central and South America landing stations, and 7.2T of switching capacity in the U.S. landing stations.
• Telefónica is also leveraging Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System that provides multi-layer service management capabilities to enable streamlined service activation, fault management and performance monitoring. Ciena is also providing consulting services, network engineering, project management, NOC contingency service, and First Line Maintenance services via its Specialist Services portfolio.
• In addition, by applying Ciena’s OPn architecture approach for creating programmable network infrastructures that deliver much lower cost-at-scale and allow network operators to better monetize their networks, the expanded TGS network has the ability to automatically adapt to changing conditions and network demands. This also makes it possible to safely and easily add 100G services to its existing cables as needs arise.
• This deployment builds upon a long-standing relationship between Ciena and Telefónica Global Solutions. Ciena’s converged packet optical technology is leveraged by Telefónica in 14 countries.
• “Ciena’s GeoMesh solution incorporates 100G coherent optical, intelligent OTN switching, and unique optical bypass technologies, which give our SAm-1 network better scale and bandwidth flexibility to meet current and future customer requirements. Further, we are now in a better position to offer international bandwidth services at competitive prices, enhanced quality and to meet projected capacity needs in the region.”
- Alejandro Martinez-Rosillo, Chief Technology Officer and Infrastructure Director, Telefónica Global Solutions
• “Our GeoMesh solution incorporates an all-optical network design to connect submarine and terrestrial segments into a single seamless link with intelligent switching for service agility and increased availability. This comprehensive deployment, which spans land and sea, demonstrates Telefónica’s strong commitment to boosting bandwidth availability and high-speed data transport for its customers throughout the U.S., Central and South America.”
- Gary Smith, President and CEO, Ciena
View more of the latest press releases from across the industry or post your company's news.