ZTE has an ongoing mission to make its brand more recognisable to consumers all over the world, a goal that will be aided by the launch of a new flagship smartphone at Mobile World Congress this week.
The Chinese vendor took the wraps off the ZTE Grand Memo II LTE on Monday, a new six-inch display smartphone that it plans to bring to market in China in April, followed by launches in Europe, North America and the wider Asia-Pacific region.
The company's launch event did not have the fanfare of those organised at the event by arch-rival Huawei or Western competitors like Nokia and Samsung, but some of the features of the device captured the attention of the assembled media.
Highlights include its split screen function, gloves mode (which enables the touch screen to function even when the user is wearing thick gloves), and a 13-megapixel rear camera that offers both simple and professional mode and smile recognition technology.
The device was presented by Angel Sanchez Diaz, the Telefonica global account director at ZTE, who also showed off the vendor's latest Firefox phone, the ZTE Open C.
That phone is ideal for people moving "from a feature phone to their first smartphone," he said.
Telefonica will bring the Open C to market in Venezuela and Uruguay in the second quarter of the year.
What's in a name
For ZTE its brand is all-important and the Chinese company claims to be making progress is making its name known by consumers.
Last year ZTE entered into a sponsorship deal with U.S. basketball team the Houston Rockets "to increase brand awareness", said Kan Yulun, CEO of ZTE terminal devices in EMEA and Latin America.
"We will make ZTE even more visible and attractive to consumers," going forward, he pledged This will see it align itself to more sports and entertainment brands, he explained.